Sunday, October 17, 2010

Méfiez-vous du fromage

My wife’s family’s annual gathering was this weekend.  She is one of 29 first cousins.  Every year at this time, the family makes the trek to Granny’s cabin.  The population of Mulberry Grove, Illinois doubles when the gang’s all there.

This is my ninth trip to the shindig.  We go for good food, great conversation and Kubb.

This is the first year I’ve gone to Granny’s weighing less than I did the year before.   Pretty impressive, eh?

For two weeks now, I’ve gotten up early and worked out before going out to work.  I’m getting into a pretty firm routine.  My muscles are killing me and I’m loving it.

I had a few options as this weekend approached.

Option A:  I could have avoided it and worked out instead.
 Who would have objected if I stayed home to help incubate this newborn workout ethic.

Option B:  Attend, have fun, eat sensibly.
Probably the best bet.  I could go, make mostly healthy choices and indulge in a few treats.  Hopefully the rest of my life will look like Option B.

But there ended up being a third option.

Option Jay:  Attend, have fun, eat way too much for way too long.

Woops.

We were on the way home before I realized, “Hey, maybe I should have thought about what I was eating!”

For 48 wonderfully terrible hours I reverted back to Eat Everything Guy.

And I blame the cheese. 

A friend of the family brings this garlic Velveeta contraption that captures your imagination.  It boggles the mind.  It controls the will.

I would walk through walls for that stuff.

What is it about family gatherings that tend to make us revert back to what we were? 

I should have asked for help.  Surely one of my wife’s 28 first cousins could have talked me down off the cheese ledge.

I should have gone to the opposite side of the yard where I wouldn’t have heard the siren call.

Instead, I start over this week.  I don't know how much weight I put on this weekend.  I do know that I begin again tomorrow.  

So, what’s the best way to keep motivated at family get-togethers? 
Do you revert?  Do you stand strong?

I'd like to know.  Because knowing is half the battle.


1 comment:

  1. I think either option B or option Jay. I have had to endure lots of parties or social gatherings while I was trying to eat healthier. A lot of times I will bring something yummy but still healthy that way I know there will be something that I can eat way too much of and not feel horrible. On the other hand, I have completely blown it too. I think as long as you can get right back to it when you get home, that is how you maintain long-term weight loss. You adjust accordingly when you need to.

    ReplyDelete