Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Despair, Thy Name is "Oatmeal"

“…we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” 2 Corinthians 10:5b

Most school days include my son coming to tell me breakfast is ready.  I finish trying to tame my herd of cowlicks and head to the kitchen.  Behold, my nemesis.

Now, I’m sure oatmeal isn’t evil.  But you would never believe it if you saw my reaction.  I see a bowl and my face contorts like my cheeks are double jointed.

Before I know it, my frown is saying to my wife, “Thanks a lot, jerk!” before my mouth can say, “Thank you, my love!”

Why is it so hard to control my Self? 

I want what I want.  And what I don’t want, I REALLY don’t want!

I wish it stopped at oatmeal, though.  The deeper I dig, the more I realize I’m a whiny baby.

My ears hear, “Honey, would you please help me rearrange furniture” and my eyes roll like they’re part of a slot machine.

I want Doritoes, we have celery.  I want to sit, I need to walk. 

Jesus calls me to “deny” myself.  I didn’t get to 340 lbs by denying myself anything but vegetables. 

I’m selfish.  Self-centered.  Self-involved.

I’m called to think of others before I think of myself.  It’s hard.  No one’s self enjoys being denied, right? 

I don’t remember ever thinking, “MAN, I enjoy sacrificing!”

I think, “BLEEP!  Sacrifice?!?!”

So here I sit… Preparing to take the chair and whip into the cage knowing my selfish desires are ready to attack.

I want to wake up to the smell of bacon tomorrow.
I plan on waking up before my wife and exercising.

If you’re up around 6:15 am Central time, pray for me.

I’ll let you know how it turned out.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on your weight loss journey! It is always hard to deny yourself in any situation.
    (I found you from someone's blog roll)
    Taylor
    www.thelumberjackswife.com

    ReplyDelete