Tuesday, September 28, 2010

And so it Begins

"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.  -- Jesus of Nazareth


Really?  Another blog about losing weight?

I searched a few terms before I started.

“Weight Loss Blog” – 147,000 results
“Diet Blog” – 183,000 results
“Christian Weight Loss Blog” – 42,300
“Jay is too fat” – 1 result... by a guy who no type good.

I’m Jay.  I’m 32 and I’m too fat.  150 pounds too fat.
I own eight diet books, four exercise videos and a stationary bike.
I know how to cook.  I am able to walk. 
I have tried to lose weight before.  I have failed every time.

Suffice it to say, this will not be a “How to” blog! 

This, my friends, is a “This $%!+ is haaaarrrrrrdddddd” blog.

Losing weight has been difficult and I don’t do difficult.

My default reaction to anything difficult is to retreat inward, not talk about it, pretend everything is ok and wait it out. 

It took so much energy to keep a fake smile plastered on my face that I was too tired to stay active.  I was too tired to engage my wife in real relationship.  Too tired to play with our five year old son and one year old daughter for more than ten minutes at a time.

Something had to happen.  Eleven months ago, Jesus went to work on some deep hurts in my life.  He’s been cleaning out the pain I’d been burying for years.  I feel so good emotionally that I have finally been able to look at myself in a mirror…  YOWZA.

I used to watch The Biggest Loser and stay detached.  “Sure, they’re as big as I am but they’re REALLY unhealthy.”

Now I can let myself see how far I have to go and am finally willing to face it.

My wife is ready to support me, our son already prays for me and my daughter drools on me a lot… I’m still working on my relationship with my daughter.

The interwebs is as public as it gets.  And I’m no longer willing to hide from life.

This blog is me, not hiding.  This is my attempt at engaging a daunting reality in my life.  And, hopefully, you’ll be able to laugh with me (usually at me) along the way.
I’d love to hear from you along the way.  I will need both comfort and sarcasm.  Hope and pain.  Email me and expect a witty comeback in return

The journey of 150 pounds begins with a single step. 

Now where are those Oreos?
  
“Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.”  -- Paul of Tarsus

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome! Good luck, Jay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be praying for you and your family through this journey Jay! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be rooting for you, Jay! So are you watching this season's biggest loser? That motivates me to keep going. You can totally do this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to lose 75 lbs. I can join this club...

    ReplyDelete